[pro] generating documentation

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Tue Jul 19 12:40:10 UTC 2011

Hi Tamas,

From the looks of it Didier's Declt is far more complete than Tinaa ever was. Also, Declt looks like it's actually maintained (which I hardly have time to do with my own stuff :-(.).

OTOH, Docudown and CL-Markdown provide a non-automated way to write documentation that can produce much a more useful product (IMHO). The great thing about tools like Declt is that they are automated. The bad thing is that the end product is closer to a dictionary than a encyclopedia. Docudown lets you write documentation and easily add in your docstrings. E.g.,

### Introspection

{docs print-tests}
{docs map-testsuites}
{docs testsuites}
{docs testsuite-tests}
{docs find-testsuite}

As an example, http://common-lisp.net/project/lift/user-guide.html#function.find-testsuite and http://common-lisp.net/project/lift/user-guide.text for the source.

The ideal, I think, is to use something like Declt for the reference and something like Docudown for the user-guide.

that's my two cents.