[pro] User defined format functions

Didier Verna didier at lrde.epita.fr
Tue Jan 25 19:55:57 UTC 2011

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb at informatimago.com> wrote:

> \ is already meaningful in strings, to escape \ or ". So you'd have to
> use ~\\e\\.

  Yeah bad example. It just popped up in my mind as the opposite of ~\\.
Make that ~!! or whatever.

> The standard already allows control-strings to be functions. So you
> could write a cl:formatter-like macro with any extension you like.
> There's no need for any extension, just use CL.

  I never said I needed a real extension. I can provide a library with
an alternate (extended ;-) format function. My point was rather to share
the idea of format-tables, which you don't seem to like, whatever the
way they would be implemented.

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Scientific site:   http://www.lrde.epita.fr/~didier
Music (Jazz) site: http://www.didierverna.com