[pro] Learning Lisp the Bump Free Way

Drew Crampsie drewc at tech.coop
Thu Jan 20 22:51:01 UTC 2011

On 20 January 2011 13:16, Sam Steingold <sds at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Drew Crampsie <drewc at tech.coop> wrote:

>> The root of the perceived problem is a lack of resources, not a lack
>> of effort or desire on the part of the "lisp community".
>
> I think Franz, Lispworks, ITA et al are vital parts of the "lisp community".
> I think the fact that none of them is paying anyone to maintain SLIME,
> ALU wiki, common-lisp.net &c
> is indicative of understandable but deplorable corporate myopia
> ("public goods cannot be produced by private businesses").

To be fair, i've never asked for financial contributions from anyone,
and perhaps that's something i should do. Perhaps a banner ad with my
sad face ala wikipedia. I've got a small team of developers with
experience doing web and systems apps in lisp, and we could be
convinced to work for peanuts given the glory involved ;).

In all seriousness, i think it's time i ask the community for some
help before i get (more) jaded and apathetic.

Cheers,

drewc