[pro] Are you an Imager or a Filer?

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Thu Jan 20 18:19:11 UTC 2011

[Once again I forgot to Reply All. Ala, you've seen part of this before.]

I'm a filer. With ASDF and even more so these days with Quicklisp,
it's just easier to load the stuff I need and it doesn't take that
long and it saves me having to spend any mental energy keeping track
of different images.

However, Fare's mention of buildapp reminded me that I use it for some
of my deployed websites, mostly just so I have one thing that is built
and I know won't change, if I accidentally decide to upgrade a library
or tweak some source code for some other reason. (Obviously, I could
also just keep my source for the running app in some distinct
place--now that I'm a bit more adept at git, I might start doing
that.)

-Peter

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:45 AM, Ala'a Mohammad <amalawi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm continually learning Common-lisp and trying to find the best style
> that suites me better. I've tried 'an imager' style (cooking a an
> image with all required libraries loaded when required), and 'a filer'
> style (loading files or systems each time I fire-up a CL
> implementation). I'm interested to hear what others use CL. How do
> they manage day to day work? how do their preferred style mesh into
> their production pipeline (coding, debugging, deployment and
> maintenance)? and what makes them prefer one way over another or the
> mix if applicable?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ala'a Mohammad.

Peter Seibel