[pro] Initialization of shared slots

Samium Gromoff _deepfire at feelingofgreen.ru
Sat Jan 8 13:15:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 23:42:23 +0100, Pascal Costanza <pc at p-cos.net> wrote:
> There is no real advantage in having shared slots over global special
> variables. On top of that, the slot access protocols in the CLOS MOP
> also don't work that well in conjunction with shared slots. So it's
> better to avoid them. Fortunately, this is the only feature in CLOS that
> doesn't make any sense, as far as I can tell.

This is sad, indeed, as shared slots could have been used to associate
information with sub-lattice of the class relationship lattice.  I have
been tempted to do exactly this, multiple times, having, instead, to
resort to manual storage of this information.

--
regards,
  Samium Gromoff

--
"Actually I made up the term 'object-oriented', and I can tell you I
did not have C++ in mind." - Alan Kay (OOPSLA 1997 Keynote)