[pro] Declarations in compilers (feedback welcome)

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:50:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Gail Zacharias <gz at clozure.com> wrote:

> Using declarations vs using THE is often a stylistic consideration, and
> while you may be able to get ECL-only users to accept your additional
> semantics, you might have trouble getting maintainers of portable libraries
> to observe this arbitrary distinction.

Precisely what I mean is that the current semantics is really inconvenient
for library writers. I also believe that this change can be introduced at
no cost for library maintainers because it effectively does not change the
semantics at the safety levels that code are typically compiled (0 or
default ones). Let me try to explain it further below.

> Why not let SPEED into the mix?  E.g. if SPEED > SAFETY then don't compile
> typechecks.

The issue is not SPEED, it is safety. Safety need not be sacrificed to gain
speed. Moreover, the problem with this SAFETY vs SPEED thing is that it has
no granularity at all. It is a simplistic view of the world which assumes
that all code is the same.

Let me explain the situation with an ordinary library, say a regular
expression parser. Somebody who writes the library has to understand that
there are various types of routines or sections of code that she is going
to write:

2- Code that handles user input (strings, lists which might be malformed,
etc)
1- Code that handles internal data (structures that will not change, sealed
classes, lists of known lengths)
0- Small sections of code that handles internal data and needs speed

I would expect that only 0 should be compiled with SAFETY = 0, and
explicitly marked so. However, we also have 1 and 2, which typically 1 and
2 are going to coexist and sometimes appear intermixed in the same
function. Here one must either resort to high safety levels for everything,
or end up wrapping around different sections of code with (LOCALLY (...
UNSAFE ...) ...) declarations. This is not good in my opinion.

The problem is that we are implicitly advocating that SAFETY = 0 is good
for everything once the code is mature enough and you need speed, but such
level implies much more than believing type declarations, it typically
implies that the arguments to functions are not checked at all. Take (CAR
(THE CONS X)). There are multiple ways in which this CAR call can be
inlined. To get the optimal case in this situation where I am telling the
compiler "believe me, this is a CONS", I may be opening the can of worms by
lifting all type checks in other uses of CAR.

Why do I believe this does not really change the semantics in a significant
way? First of all because apart from SBCL's declaration policy there is not
an explicitly written commitment in any of the free (natively compiling)
common lisps out there about the meaning of optimization settings. In such
a panorama, I would guess that currently library maintainers more or less
follow the approach of lowering safety levels to 0 in speed-critical code
and leaving it at some default value that works with their favorite
implementation elsewhere. See for instance CL-PPCRE

(defvar *standard-optimize-settings*
  '(optimize speed (safety 0)(space 0) (debug 1) (compilation-speed 0)
#+:lispworks (hcl:fixnum-safety 0))...

>From the user's point of view, the approach seems to be: if safety level is
zero, the compiler will make fast code, in default settings mode, I will
get type checking. The PCL also suggests this, and it seems to be a common
entry point for many new users. Moreover, users also cannot rely on CMUCL's
or SBCL's or ECL's type checking behavior for function arguments, because
they are not really standard, and manual type checking is required in most
libraries.

OTOH, if one comes up with a set of sensible settings that users may choose
from and which may be applicable throughout the library, without disrupting
the current behavior at SAFETY 0 or default, then  the cost of adoption is
zero.

I am just trying to figure out a non-disruptive way of choosing those
settings, documenting them (
http://ecls.sourceforge.net/new-manual/ch02.html#ansi.declarations.optimize),
and perhaps even sparking a debate about it, so that there may be some more
uniformity throughout implementations.

Cheers,

Juanjo

--