[pro] Bignum Arithmetic

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Sat Dec 3 23:00:56 UTC 2011

I'm getting more deeply involved in Bignum prime-field and Elliptic Curve computations. Wonder if anyone knows the degree to which the Bignum support in Lisp is enhanced, in the sense that multiple algorithms can be used for, e.g., multiplication, depending on bignum operand sizes. FFT's over integer fields for large numbers, Montgomery multiplication elsewhere, etc.??

I just reviewed GnuMP docs and saw a fairly sophisticated collection of internal optimizations. Would it pay to migrate to GnuMP for specialized applications?

Dr. David McClain
dbm at refined-audiometrics.com