[pro] Compiler APIs in Common Lisp

Matthew Mondor mm_lists at pulsar-zone.net
Wed Apr 13 03:03:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:45:36 +0000 (UTC)
Matthew Swank <akopa.gmane.poster at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am current reading an interesting paper on Racket's macro system (referenced
> here: http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4196
> ), and some of the objects they expose quack like CLTL-2 Environments:
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/cltl/clm/node102.html. I have read that
> having write access to environments makes it hard for the compiler to optimize
> code. However, even portable read only access would be helpful. Does anyone
> besides me and Cyrus Harmon (http://cyrusharmon.org/blog/display?id=113)
> miss Environments?

I just wanted to say that the resulting thread is most precious and
worthy of archiving; I was also occasionally confronted to various
compilation-environment related issues and so far the provided answers
and links seem to touch most, if not all of the topic:

- Custom lexically scoped SETF/GETF expansions built on macros, using
  lexical macros overriding the top-level macros
- Lexically scoped symbol-macrolet using lexically scoped macrolet
- The ENV parameter of the various special forms, where available, and
  implementation-dependent related features
- Custom declarations and implementation-dependent ways to access their
  current values in the current scope
- The COMPILER-LET issue

Great thanks,
--