[pro] Fwd: The Best Examples of "Code is Data"

Raymond Wiker rwiker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 12:53:35 UTC 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Raymond Wiker <rwiker at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: [pro] The Best Examples of "Code is Data"
To: Kazimir Majorinc <kazimir at chem.pmf.hr>

I do not think that this is a case where eval is needed, and it is not
a case where eval is likely to be either the best or the simplest
solution.

Instead of using list-construction operations to construct a
"function" to be eval'd, you can use the function-construction
operator (lambda, that is). In addition to being more conventional
(simply by not using eval), it also gives you a mechanism for passing
parameters into your functions without resorting to specials. Two
mechanisms, in fact - you can use ordinary parameters and closed-over
variables.