[pro] smart editors [was The Best Examples of "Code is Data"]

Daniel Weinreb dlw at itasoftware.com
Thu Sep 9 14:49:55 UTC 2010

dherring at tentpost.com wrote:
> LW wrote
>
> IIRC, the Dr. Scheme editor had such features back in 1999.

I have long felt that it's a shame that the Common
Lisp community and the Scheme community are
so badly splt.  I strongly suspect that Common
Lisp has a lot to learn from DrScheme.

>  They can be
> very useful on occasion; but the need to interact with them can be a
> hindrance.  Also annoying is when the act of refactoring code breaks the
> tools used to simplify the process.
>
> At ILC09, Duane Rettig outlined a smart debugger that could step all the
> way from source through macros down to compiled code.  A similar framework
> may be needed to expose the IT in an anaphoric macro.

Very interesting.  It sure would be nice if all that good
work being done at Franz were open source.  (I do
understand why it's not.)

--- Dan