[pro] How to interact with a running lisp instance?

Ala'a Mohammad amalawi at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 03:33:10 UTC 2010

> There has been some great work, I believe done
> cooperatively by Stanford and U.C. Berkeley,
> about how to deal with this.  Do a web search
> for "crash-only systems".  What you have to do
> is be able to quickly recover from such failures,
> getting you back to the same state you were
> in, or at least that latest state that you
> decided to checkpoint.

forgot to mention that one of the features I like most of CLISP is
that its EXT:SAVEINITMEM will save a snapshot or an image without
quiting the current image.
http://www.gnu.org/software/clisp/impnotes/image.html

So you can snapshot on regular timing or on a trigger in the
application (and then maybe ask rsyslog (on linux) to take care of
archiving the snapshots.)

Ala'a Mohammad