[pro] How to interact with a running lisp instance?

Gail Zacharias gz at clozure.com
Fri Dec 17 18:55:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Michael Bentley
<michael at stray-hound.com>wrote:

> How to interact with a running lisp instance?  I have been trying to figure
> this out.  I know this is being done with slime.  Does any one have any good
> pointer on this.  I am thinking of writing a web application and would like
> to be able to update it on the fly for updates and bug fixes.
>

> Why not just use slime/swank?  You can open an ssh tunnel to your web
> server and use slime-connect.

Slime/swank is not very robust against version skew.  This is especially a
problem if you have multiple people who need to access the server, each of
whom may be running a different version of slime.  I assume people who are
building swank into their servers are either running single-maintainer web
sites, or are able to enforce uniformity of tools among all maintainers.
And even then, you have to be willing to restart the server any time you
update slime.