[pro] Modularity for subclassing in Common Lisp

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 03:19:36 UTC 2010

On 7 December 2010 14:00, Pascal Costanza <pc at p-cos.net> wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2010, at 18:16, Faré wrote:
> The term 'mixins' sets of my alarm bells. ;) But first a question, to better understand what you mean here: How do you reconcile the notion of mixins with multiple dispatch?

I don't know that there's any problem that requires reconciliation,
but that said, I haven't tried too much. There are some intrinsic
problems with multiple dispatch, but I don't know that they are any
specific to mixins. Maybe some better method linearization algorithm
can help?

As for your other question to dlw about methods defined in terms of
each other, my solution is to use mixins to segregate incompatible
method transformations in disjoint mixins. A better question might be
how do you enforce disjointness of some mixins. I suppose a
heavy-handed use of MOP magic could do it, but oh well.

In a family argument, if it turns out you are right — apologize at once.
        — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"