[pro] Modularity for subclassing in Common Lisp

Matthew D. Swank akopa at charter.net
Sat Dec 4 22:04:20 UTC 2010

On 12/01/2010 03:11 PM, Faré wrote:
>> I have always liked the idea of having protocols
>> say more than just "these are the functions
>> and these are the arguments, which are optional,
>> ane maybe what their types are.
>>
> You can have that in Lisp to a point with Interface-Passing Style:
> 	http://fare.livejournal.com/155094.html
I have (ab)used this style of late as it meshes with my habit of
defining protocols that are less designed than evolved.  I'll have a
moment of realization that a group of generic functions describe a theme
which may be varied, and I'll end up with an abstract interface, some
mixins, and a defining macro for subtypes. So far type hierarchies have
been shallow, but I'm willing to see how far design-by-refactoring takes me.

Matt