[postmodern-devel] character encoding

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 07:40:04 UTC 2008

Hello Roman,

> Invalid byte at start of character: 0x99
>  [Condition of type TRIVIAL-UTF-8:UTF-8-DECODING-ERROR]

This seems to suggest that the text in the record is not actually
ASCII, but some other 8-bit encoding. 0x7f is the highest character
code ASCII text can contain. What does 'psql -l' show? Actually, the
way I understood it is that if you set a UNICODE/UTF-8 encoding for
the connection, which Postmodern does, it should translate any text
into that encoding before sending it... but that would mean the error
you're seeing could never occur. I've never seen it happen before...
switching your database to UNICODE encoding is bound to fix it, or you
can try setting Postmodern to use 8-bit encoding (with the 0x7f-0xff
characters being interpreted in whichever way your Lisp implementation
feels like, most likely latin-1) by changing the *unicode* parameter
in the cl-postgres.asd file, and re-compiling the library.

Best,
Marijn