[postmodern-devel] postmodern, pg, cl-rdbms

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 17:15:51 UTC 2007

Hello Attila,

Finally getting around to looking at cl-rdbms, I found it to be very well
thought out -- its syntax probably supports more different constructs than
s-sql does at this point. Its syntax is probably also quite a bit more
thought out. If, a month ago, you had had some minimal documentation, I'd
probably have realized this earlier, heh. Also, one of the reasons I stuck
to Postgres-specificness is that I don't know enough about other databases,
and do not have the time, to write stuff in a multi-backend way. Maybe the
cl-rdbms code can help there (though it's also still only tested on pg). So
now the burning question presents itself -- do we merge?

I haven't played with cl-rdbms enough to know how much I like it. Its DAO
(records) approach seems more primitive than Postmodern's. How stable are
the various parts of the library? Is anybody planning to put some effort
into documentation anytime soon?

I guess what it boils down to is: A) I'm not in the possession of a lot of
time for merging these libraries myself at the moment, but f you or someone
else would be interested in putting work into this I'd be happy to
cooperate. B) I'm rather proud of some of the stuff I did in the Postmodern
code, and of the docs, so I want to at least have some influence in the
merging process. But of course, C) It's no good to have multiple similar
libraries, we should all join together and make a solid CLSQL-replacement.

So, let me know what you think.

Regards,
Marijn