ES2015 features?

John Pallister john at synchromesh.com
Wed Nov 7 22:26:30 UTC 2018

Hello list,

After admiring Parenscript from afar for many years I'm finally taking the
plunge into web front-end development. I'm using Preact
<https://preactjs.com/> with Parenscript - so far so good. After reading
the article How to make your React app fully functional, fully reactive,
and able to handle all those crazy side effects
<https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to-make-your-react-app-fully-functional-fully-reactive-and-able-to-handle-all-those-crazy-e5da8e7dac10>
would like to incorporate Redux, Cycle.js and Immutable.js, by porting
redux-cycles <https://github.com/cyclejs-community/redux-cycles> to Preact
(and Parenscript). Looking at the sample code, these modern JavaScript
libraries (particularly the more functional ones) make heavy use of ES2015
features such as:

   - Arrow functions
   - const
   - let
   - Spread properties
   <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Operators/Spread_syntax#Spread_in_object_literals>
   - Rest parameters
   <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Functions/rest_parameters>
   - Destructured function parameters
   - etc.

I realise that pretty much all of these are just syntactic sugar, but I
wanted to ask whether anyone other than me thinks it would be nice if
Parenscript knew about these modern niceties and could be directed to
generate them, and what the general roadmap (if any) is for Parenscript,
before I start looking at what's involved.

Thanks very much,

John :^P
--
John Pallister