[parenscript-devel] A simpler way to do multiple value return? (Was: PS test failures in 7be9b45)

Daniel Gackle danielgackle at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 18:58:46 UTC 2012

You've convinced me about subtle bugs. But I would like to get clear
about the root difficulty. I don't think this quite captures it:

< Except as you point out the multiple-values array will now be passed
on to any functions whose value BAR returns >

... because if BAR *returns* that other function's value(s) then we
actually want whatever it puts in the MV array - yes? That is, in the
following:

  (defun foo ()
    (multiple-value-bind (a b) (bar) // ignore a
      b))

  (defun bar ()
    (apply #'baz arguments))

  (defun baz ()
    (values 10 20))

... FOO should return 20, so it's good that the MV semantics pass
through BAR to BAZ. The problem comes when BAR *doesn't* return its
call to BAZ, and BAZ has populated the MV array with bogus values:

  (defun bar ()
    (apply #'baz arguments)
    nil)

Now FOO should clearly not return 20. Does this illustrate what you
are objecting to?

What I find interesting is how the different implementations we've been
discussing all seem to break on the same thing. Correct compilation of
MVR requires distinguishing between function calls in a tail position
(where MV passthrough is wanted) and those not in a tail position
(where MV passthrough is a bug). That is, the granularity within which
MV state should be shared and outside which it must not leak is: a
chain of function calls in the tail position.

That explains why the proposed implementations so far are incorrect:
implicit argument as described above, MV_RETURNS (because MV state is
global), and foo.mv (because MV state is per-function [1]). None of
them works at this granularity.

So two questions: 1) is this explanation of the difficulty correct?
2) Is there a way for PS to ensure that MV state can't leak outside a
chain of tail calls? A naive way to do it would be to generate code to
clear MV state after every non-tail call.

Daniel

[1] With respect to the foo.mv implementation, we had talked about
things breaking on recursion. It's worth noting that recursion and MV
work fine together as long as the MV calls are tail calls. e.g. BAR
returns 6 here:

  (defun foo (list)
    (cond ((null list) (values 1 2 3))
          (t (foo (cdr list)))))

  (defun bar ()
    (multiple-value-bind (a b c) (foo '(blah blah))
      (+ a b c)))