[parenscript-devel] Printer inconsistencies as of 60154a

Daniel Gackle danielgackle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 06:42:38 UTC 2012

I've been trying to upgrade our PS version and have some problems to
report. This email concerns issues with the changes to the printer in
commit 60154a. Accordingly, the code samples below need to be
formatted in a fixed-width font to be readable. Also, they're all in
JS rather than PS for obvious reasons. I can provide the corresponding
PS forms if desired.

First, a simple for loop used to be printed like this:

   for (var n = 0; n < 10; n += 1) {
       blah(n);
   };

is now:

   for (var n = 0; n < 10;
        n += 1) {
       blah(n);
   };

Not sure if that was intended, but it's so nonstandard that I can't
bear to look at it. If one were going to put line breaks in the for
loop declaration, surely there ought to be a line per clause rather
than an arbitrary break between the second and third. But three lines
is too many and anyway the whole thing is weird; it really belongs
on one line.

Second, there seem to be bugs in how expressions in a comma-delimited
list are line-separated and indented. Apologies for the contrived JS
here, but I have to make the lines long enough to trigger an
indentation. Code that used to be in one line like this:

   var obj = (obj3433 = {  }, (obj3433.foooooooooooo =
'oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo', obj3433.baaaaaaaaar =
'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa', obj3433));

is now being indented like this:

   var obj = (obj3433 = {  },
              (obj3433.foooooooooooo = 'oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo',
obj3433.baaaaaaaaar = 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa', obj3433));

I like the idea, but it seems the third (and any subsequent) lines
ought to be aligned with the second.

Here's a real example of the same problem from our code:

        var bucket = (g4 = m1 - sol[label],
                      (g5 = m2 - sol[label],
 (g6 = rcplus === 'col' ? rect3437[0] : rect3437[2],
 (g7 = rcplus === 'col' ? rect3437[1] : rect3437[3],
 rc === 'col' ? [g4, g5, g6, g7] : [g6, g7, g4, g5]))));

There are other more complex examples of nested grouped expressions
that are coming out pretty strangely:

    var sh = (
              obj3439 = { markup : packIgrid(markup), tiling : csh.tiling,
ultc : ultc,
         ultr : ultr },
              (
 (g3 = (it = csh.coldeltas, it != null && it !== false ? xcopy(it) : null),
 g3 != null ? (obj3439.coldeltas = g3) : null),
 (
 g4 = (it3440 = csh.rowdeltas,
   it3440 != null && it3440 !== false ? xcopy(it3440) : null),
 g4 != null ? (obj3439.rowdeltas = g4) : null),
 obj3439));

It does seem like a good idea to not have all this on one line, but
it's far from clear what the indentation policy is.

Similar inconsistencies afflict curly braces:

   queueMsg(brl, {
                   acknowledge : true }, mailbox);

or:

    return ss.appointmentTicket = { col : c + (cols || 0),
                                 row : r + (rows || 0) };

and here's a monster one:

var REGRESSIONS = [{ type : 'js', target : 'ff', file1 : 'f1', file2 : 'f2'
}, {

     type : 'js',

     target : 'ie6',

     file1 : 'ie61',

     file2 : 'ie62' }, {

                         type : 'js',

                         target : 'ie7',

                         file1 : 'ie71',

                         file2 : 'ie72' }, {

                                             type : 'js',

                                             target : 'ie8',

                                             file1 : 'ie81',

                                             file2 : 'ie82' }, {

                                                                 type :
'js',

                                                                 target :
'safari',

                                                                 file1 :
'saf1',

                                                                 file2 :
'saf2' }, {

         type : 'js',

         target : 'chrome',

         file1 : 'chr1',

         file2 : 'chr2' }, {

                             type : 'js',

                             target : 'node',

                             file1 : 'n1',

                             file2 : 'n2' }, {

                                               type : 'html',

                                               target : 'ff',

                                               file1 : 'hf1',

                                               file2 : 'hf2' }, {

                                                                  type :
'html',

                                                                  target :
'ie6',

                                                                  file1 :
'hie61',

                                                                  file2 :
'hie62' }, {

           type : 'html',

           target : 'ie7',

           file1 : 'hie71',

           file2 : 'hie72' }, {

                                type : 'html',

                                target : 'ie8',

                                file1 : 'hie81',

                                file2 : 'hie82' }, {

                                                     type : 'html',

                                                     target : 'safari',

                                                     file1 : 'hsaf1',

                                                     file2 : 'hsaf2' }, {

type : 'html',

target : 'chrome',

file1 : 'hchr1',

file2 : 'hchr2' }, {

                   type : 'css',

                   target : 'chrome',

                   file1 : 'c1',

                   file2 : 'c2' }, {

                                     type : 'css',

                                     target : 'ie8',

                                     file1 : 'ie1',

                                     file2 : 'ie2' }];

I have some respect for how much harder this problem is than it
appears to be, having worked on similar issues for our Numen REPL and
not being too happy with what I came up with. That being said, these
changes to the printer probably make the JS less readable in our case
rather than more readable. It would be better to do less and have it
be consistent. At a minimum, I hope we can fix the more indecorous
areas.

Daniel