[parenscript-devel] A simpler way to do multiple value return? (Was: PS test failures in 7be9b45)

Daniel Gackle danielgackle at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 05:49:27 UTC 2012

First, your comment "they all need to be stack aware" reminds me of a
point I forgot to make about the global variable idea. Obviously a
naive global RETURN_VALUES array isn't going to survive cases of
nested MV calls. But could the compiled PS instead keep a global
RETURN_VALUES stack? i.e. a list of MV arrays that callers would
push/pop as appropriate? I haven't thought about how this might work
and it feels like it probably wouldn't, but I'd like to know why.

< The basic idea is that a form expecting multiple values creates a
mutable array to store those values, and passes it down the stack >

I like the array-passing idea and agree that it probably needs to be
passed out of band - but can we state explicitly why? For example, why
can't we make it a hidden first argument (it couldn't very well go
anywhere else because of things like &REST) and make Parenscript smart
enough to add in the correct value for that hidden argument every
place that function is called (i.e. pass null if the extra return
values aren't to be bound, and an array to hold them if they are)?

One obvious drawback is that non-PS functions wouldn't be able to call
such a function normally; they'd have to know about the extra arg.
What other drawbacks are there?

< Note that we just need some way to associate foo with the array. You
can do that with a global table instead of setting a property on the
function object. >

I like this idea, because everyone in the JS world is so adamant that
one shouldn't mess with arguments.metablah (though arguments.callee
has got to be better than arguments.callee.caller). But how would it
work for lambdas?

< A problem arises for recursive [including mutually recursive] functions >

Right. I don't follow your example here, though, so I wonder if you
can spell it out a bit further.

Daniel