[parenscript-devel] A simpler way to do multiple value return? (Was: PS test failures in 7be9b45)

Daniel Gackle danielgackle at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 03:52:29 UTC 2012

Hi Red,

I was hoping you'd chime in. I'll see your scenario 3 and raise you a
3a and a 3b:

Scenario 3a: A non-Parenscript function that calls a mv-returning
             Parenscript function but only needs its first return value;

Scenario 3b: A non-Parenscript function that calls a mv-returning
             Parenscript function and needs all its return values.

3a works fine as long as the MV implementation is careful to use a
normal JS return to pass the first return value back to the caller.
That's true both of what PS does today and of the global-var proposal.

As for 3b (the scenario, not the hacker!), seems to me this can't work
at all and there's no need to support it. If you're a non-PS function
then by definition you can't use PS's MULTIPLE-VALUE-BIND to access
the additional return values because the MV construct only exists in
PS. I suppose if you really wanted to you could manually write JS to
do whatever PS does to supply those values to the caller, but then
you're not really a non-PS function anymore, so much as a
manually-compiled PS function.

Daniel