[parenscript-devel] best practice for developing a JS-only HTML5 webapp?

Daniel Gackle danielgackle at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 00:32:28 UTC 2011

We have a PS program split across a dozen or so Lisp files and a
"compiler" (really just a build script in the form of a CL function)
that processes each file by binding *PARENSCRIPT-STREAM*, reading in
PS forms from the top level of the file, and calling PS* on them to
create a .js file. Then a second script assembles the component .js
files into a big one, which is the entire client program. That thing
is given a SHA1 hash as part of its name so it can be browser-cached
forever.

This setup has proven pretty good. It's simple. It works somewhat like
ASDF so it feels natural in a CL environment. It only recompiles
individual js files when they change, so the round trip from editing
PS code to refreshing the page in the browser is reasonably fast.

Another advantage is for debugging. When browsers, even bad ones,
report an error, they provide the line number at which the error
occurred. Because the big .js file is named with a SHA1 hash, it's
very quick to go back to Emacs, open the precise version of the
program that's producing the error (ido-mode makes this particularly
quick as one only needs to type in 4 or 5 characters) and M-g M-g to
the offending line number. This is so much easier than having to open
the script in some horrible dinky client-side tool (even the
not-so-bad ones like Firebug) and scroll around.

As I said, pretty simple. Before this we had a more complicated
approach that didn't work nearly as well.

Daniel