[parenscript-devel] Over-aggressive expressification?

Daniel Gackle danielgackle at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 05:51:43 UTC 2010

I noticed the JS for a function like this has changed:

(defun blah ()
  (when (some-condition)
    (foo)
    (bar)
    (baz)))

It used to give this:

function blah() {
    if (someCondition()) {
        foo();
        bar();
        return baz();
    };
};

Now it produces this:

function blah() {
    return someCondition() ? (foo(), barr(), baz()) : null;
};

I think it's worth questioning whether this deviates too far from PS's
goal of readable JS. I can give examples from our codebase
where this approach produces very complex composite expressions
that are quite unreadable. It doesn't bother me too much, since
I understand what PS is doing and can always look at the source
code. But it certainly sacrifices readability/debuggability. Too far?

Daniel