[parenscript-devel] Implicit returns

John Fremlin not at just.any.name
Sat Oct 10 11:39:59 UTC 2009

Daniel Gackle <danielgackle at gmail.com> writes:
[...]
> Vladimir, have you ever thought of or tried to get RETURN out of PS? What are
> the main challenges?

The lack of implicit return is something that always trips me up writing
parenscript. I think it would be a good idea. (Though maybe there should
be a policy for these incompatible changes :-)

It is a bit of effort to implement completely (i.e. marking the last
form in a defun or lambda to be a returning form, and transforming it to
use return if it doesn't already), because you would have to figure out
how to push a return through each special form (e.g. if).

But it sounds feasible . . .

Related to the impedance mismatch between Lisp's view of expressions and
statements as the same thing and JavaScript's balkanisation of the
concepts.

[...]