[parenscript-devel] Multiple value calls

Red Daly reddaly at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 09:11:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Daniel Gackle <danielgackle at gmail.com> wrote:
> < Why do you say some of the time?  Under what cases would it break? >
>
> Red will think of something :)

Well, I think this implementation is quite close and would work with
beefier semantic analysis.

> < I think you should push this code as a patch; let's see what happens. >
>
> I'll do that, perhaps once Scott has our code working with the implicit
> return stuff, to minimize upgrade inconvenience.
>
> < The ability to attach arbitrary properties to function objects finally
> comes in useful. >
>
> This is actually the one feature of JS that I miss in CL: the ability to
> attach arbitrary properties to pretty much anything. It is a godsend for
> exploratory programming since it eliminates the gruntwork of packing things
> into defined structures (objects, arrays, whatever) which you then have to
> destructure to get at them. It's an extreme of loosey-gooseyness that must
> give the static bondage people nightmares (a feature, not a bug). I wish
> someone would figure out a way to hack the same ability into CL (we've
> already done so in a limited, good-enough-for-our-app way). It's interesting
> that symbol-plists just aren't that useful in this regard.
>
> Daniel
>

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Vladimir Sedach <vsedach at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Ok, here's a variation that abandons global MV altogether and stores it
>> > instead as a property on the caller.
>>
>> Oh, wow. The ability to attach arbitrary properties to function
>> objects finally comes in useful. Very clever!
>>
>> > It passes all the previously mentioned
>> > cases and works at least some of the time with anonymous functions.
>>
>> Why do you say some of the time? Under what cases would it break?
>>
>> > (defpsmacro values (main &rest additional)
>> >   (with-ps-gensyms (mv)
>> >     `(let ((,mv (list , at additional)))
>> >        (when (defined (@ (@ (@ arguments :callee) :caller) :mv))
>> >          (setf (@ (@ (@ arguments :callee) :caller) :mv) ,mv))
>> >        (return ,main))))
>> >
>> > (defpsmacro multiple-value-bind (vars expr &body body)
>> >   (with-ps-gensyms (mv prev)
>> >     `(let ((,prev (@ (@ arguments :callee) :mv)))
>> >        (try
>> >         (progn
>> >           (setf (@ (@ arguments :callee) :mv) t)
>> >           (let ((,(car vars) ,expr)
>> >                 (,mv (if (objectp (@ (@ arguments :callee) :mv))
>> >                          (@ (@ arguments :callee) :mv)
>> >                          (make-array ,(1- (length vars))))))
>> >             (destructuring-bind ,(cdr vars) ,mv
>> >               , at body)))
>> >         (:finally (if (undefined ,prev)
>> >                       (delete (@ (@ arguments :callee) :mv))
>> >                       (setf (@ (@ arguments :callee) :mv) ,prev)))))))

I think this breaks in the case where EXPR in the above macro has more
than one form:

(multiple-value-bind (a b)
   (progn
      (returns-mv)
      (doesnt))
  (alert a)
  (alert b))

Where (defun returns-mv() (values 1 2)) and (defun doesnt () (return 3)).

(As an aside, the evaluation order of the MV arguments is not serial:
(values (foo) (bar)) evaluates (bar) first.  This is a simple bug that
the ONCE-ONLY macro should solve)

This is so close, and I think attaching MV information to the caller
is a viable solution, since (1) MV returns only make sense for
parenscript functions, not functions written by others, and (2) with
just a little bit more semantic analysis we should be able to derive
the form that will be responsible for returning the values bound by
multiple-value-bind.  So good work!  This solution will stand for now.

Note, however, that this solution requires every implicit return (e.g.
a tail call) to execute the multiple-value machinery.  It's probably
not a big deal except for certain sections of code, and hey, it's
Javascript anyway.

Red