[parenscript-devel] long compile time

Kelly McDonald kelly at fammcdonald.net
Wed Jun 24 20:23:41 UTC 2009

Hello, I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, I just need someone to set
me straight.

I recently updated to the latest parenscript (as well as sbcl) and got
all of the errors for where I had  this.dropdownlist.length type
notation
and changed it to (@ this dropdownlist length) notation.

I had something that used to compile rather quickly it was as simple as this:

(defun somefunction ()
  (ps
        (very long parenscript code)))

if I evaluate just the (ps (very long parenscript code))  everything
is really snappy & I get what I expect.

if I evaluate the whole function, it takes forever (ok, like 10
minutes) again, once things evaluate, I get what I expect

Furthermore, if I start small and add stuff in, it seems to take
exponential time to the amount of code (or more likely my patience
gets exponentially shorter)

the same thing happens if I merely do a (setf somevar (ps (very long
parenscript code)))

I'm suspecting that I'm hitting some kind of compiler optimization and
I need some kind of pragma.

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions,
Kelly McDonald