[parenscript-devel] Feature request: prefixed names

John Fremlin john at fremlin.org
Thu Jun 21 03:37:16 UTC 2007

"Vladimir Sedach" <vsedach at gmail.com> writes:
--text follows this line--
> That sounds like a good idea, but I think it would be difficult to
> implement correctly. The problem is that name mangling would have to
> take place both when you declare the variables/functions, and when you
> access them. So there would have to be some global state to keep track
> of which identifiers have already been declared in ParenScript code so
> that the corresponding name-mangling could take place when those
> identifiers are accessed.

Yes, I am well aware. If it didn't involve so much hard work, I would
have done it already.

However, this is another motivation for parenscript moving more
towards being a proper Lisp to JavaScript compiler. Eventually, being
able to run the same code in Lisp on the server as in JavaScript on
the client would obviously be awesome.

The definition tracking functionality would also be useful for
code-compression (choosing short identifiers) as someone else
suggested.

Of course, I suppose constant folding (as you suggested) is the first
step and would definitely be much more practical.

[...]