[parenscript-devel] *enable-package-system* and backward compatibility in general

Vladimir Sedach vsedach at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 18:54:59 UTC 2007

Hello Attila,

> i've tried to update ucw to the new parenscript repo, but it turned
> out to be more headache then what i want to address right now.

I'm not done breaking things yet. :)

> i've seen that a new naming convention is used instead of some old api
> functions. is there a chance of leaving the old api and keeping it
> backward compatible? specifically js:js* and friends should bind
> *enable-package-system* to false somewhere, and things like that.
>
> globally changing *enable-package-system* before loading ucw is a
> really bad idea, but ucw calls parenscript even at compile time, so
> rebinding *enable-package-system* by ucw when serving a request is
> also not working.

I think that's a really good idea that will work for everybody
involved. I've pushed a patch that starts to implement some of that.
We've changed all the code to use the new interface in the project I'm
using ParenScript for, so I don't have a good handle on which part of
the old interface to preserve and what isn't needed. Feel free to post
what's not working or make any changes to deprecated-interface.lisp
that you need.

> i've pushed some unimportant changes in the process, though.

Much appreciated.