[parenscript-devel] Printer changes now in the darcs repository - looks like initial performance gain.

Vladimir Sedach vsedach at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 01:22:49 UTC 2007

Hello everybody,

The changes to the printer I've promised are now in the repository.
dwim-join is no more. The indentation is still wonky as I haven't
gotten around to it, however now everything gets output right to a
stream. Besides making the code a lot more straightforward and
somewhat smaller, this also appears to have a nice performance
benefit. I haven't done any profiling, but according to Firebug it now
takes about 1/5 the time to fetch a generated 77KB JSON object than it
used to, and that's when printing gets wrapped in a
with-output-to-string first. There is now the possibility of writing
Javascript directly over the socket, which should be even faster.

Let me know if there are any bugs or issues with the new printer.