[Pal-devel] title window hanging

Tomi Neste tomi.neste at netikka.fi
Wed Jan 16 12:12:45 UTC 2008

Lopatin Vladimir <madjestic13 at gmail.com> kirjoitti Wed, 16 Jan 2008
01:03:43 +0200:

> Hey everybody,
>
> This is my post here and I am not even sure is I am posting it right.  I
> am
> having a similar issue as described by someone not long ago, when trying
> run examples from pal/examples:  the window with a title pops up and
> hangs,
> it doesn't show anything, doesn't respond to events, Windows sais that
> the
> application is not responding.  Meanwhile the listener sais
> "FFI:FOREIGN-CALL-OUT: 0 cannot be converted to the foreign type
> SINGLE-FLOAT".
> I also have to use (in-package: pal) before I can run any examples.

Luckily this isn't too hard to fix, but should probably be mentioned in
the manual since it had me puzzled a bit when testing pal on CLisp.
For some reason CLisp runs by default in non-ANSI compatible mode which
causes problems like that one mentioned above. To fix it either:

1) Set custom:*ansi* to T after starting CLisp
2) Put (setf custom:*ansi* t) in your .clisprc file
3) Start CLisp with the -a command line argument

That _should_ fix, let me know if still doesn't work.

> I use windows XP, AMDX2 64bit, nVidia GTX7800, Clisp-2.43.  I can use
> Linux to and probably using a Linux PAL setup or SBCL
> would solve the issues, dunno.

PAL should work fine on Windows, with either or SBCL or CLisp. Allegro and
Lispworks are less tested but in theory there shouldn't be problems.

> Maybe that's too much to ask - but is it possible to write some checking
> program that would check if everything, required by PAL, is installed and
> works fine?  I am really new to Lisp and it would be fantastic to use
> PAL.

After loading PAL try (load "<pal-dir>/examples/teddy.lisp") and
(pal-example::example) from REPL. If that works it is very likely that
everything is working correctly. You could also try the "polygons.lisp"
example, it should start automatically after loading.
If you have more problems let me know :)

--
tomppa