[Pal-devel] Can't run examples/hello.lisp

Tomi Neste tomi.neste at netikka.fi
Wed Jan 2 22:27:13 UTC 2008

David N Murray <dmurray at jsbsystems.com> kirjoitti Wed, 02 Jan 2008
23:55:05 +0200:

> On Jan 2, Tomi Neste scribed:
>

>> Looks like event handling is working fine but for some reason window
>> update is not working. Just to be sure try to upgrade to the cvs head
>> version. (Note: Colors are handled a bit differently in the latest
>> version; instead of (clear-screen 255 255 255) you should use
>> (clear-screen (color 255 255 255)). But some functions still take
>> separate
>> rgba values, it is a bit messy atm...)
>>
>> I'll see if I can get it working on my own xming setup.
>
> I've upgraded to cvs head, but no change in the results.  I don't have a
> monitor on the linux box, so I can't really try it locally.  Is there a
> function call result I could look at?

Well, there are a few things you could try from the repl (in pal package),
just to see how much works.

(open-pal :paths "/path/to/my/images/") ;; opens pal window with default
settings

(clear-screen +white+)

(update-screen) ;; update display, should signal in case of opengl error

(wait-keypress) ;; to see if event handling works

(draw-image (load-image "some.png") (v 0 0)) ;; loads and draws an image
 from "path/to/my/images"

(screen-to-array (v 0 0) 100 100)
;; this should return part of the window as an array of rgba values. E.g.
after (clear-screen +white+) it should return all 255s. I'm not sure if it
really should work in this situation but might as well try.

Other than that it is really hard to say where the problem might be. I
just tried some of the more demanding X11 apps remotely with xming/win32
and xorg/linux and the result were quite random, from total hang to
problems with screen update so it might be a general problem with SDL
apps. With my setup PAL hangs completely at open-pal :(

Assuming you are on Windows PAL should work natively there. But then of
course the environment isn't as nice...

--
tomppa