[Pal-devel] Running PAL on Mac OS X (Leopard)

Tomi Neste flatlander at yellow-hut.com
Tue Nov 6 12:46:13 UTC 2007

Kamil Shakirov <kamils80 at gmail.com> kirjoitti Tue, 06 Nov 2007 13:55:56
+0200:

> Hi Tomi,
>
> Recently I moved to MBP3 and Mac OS X (upgraded to Leopard). First I
> wanted to port all my lisp libs/tools to the new OS. So far I can run
> cl-opengl (thomas branch) using lispbuilder-sdl backend for window
> management. Now I am trying to run PAL, still no success. After
> applying a small patch (attached) that loads SDL (from SDL offsite)
> and OpenGL libraries I was able to compile and load PAL library
> without any errors but constantly get the same errors and SBCL crashes
> when trying to run examples. Here is my log:

Hmm, this one is a bit tricky since I don't (yet) have an OSX myself.
 From what I have a read the issues about SDL & CL are caused by OSX
driving the SDL window in different thread than Lisp and I think
Lispbuilder-SDL has some magic to overcome the problems.
A quick fix would be using LB-SDL for setting up the gl context and
possibly handling the ui events. Naturally that would need some knowledge
of the pal internals. If you are interested in trying that, replacing the
PAL:OPEN-PAL and possibly PAL:UPDATE and PAL:HANDLE-EVENT with equivalent
SB-SDL code might work.
In the long run it would of course be best to have some real fix for this.
I'll do some searching and probably the least I can do is come up with an
easy way to use PAL on top of LB-SDL.

Anyway, thanks for reporting. I'm very interested in getting PAL working
on Mac.

--
tomppa