[Pal-devel] Re: plans for SDL_ttf and SDL_net

Tomi Neste tomi.neste at netikka.fi
Mon Jul 2 16:11:18 UTC 2007

Kamil Shakirov wrote:
> Hi.
>
> First, thanks a lot for such a nifty 'PAL' library. :) I have started my
> first game in CL and decided to use it. Are there any plans to support
> SDL_ttf and SDL_net?
>
> Thanks

Welcome to pal-devel!

I have thought about SDL_ttf support before but wasn't sure if it would be
really necessary. OTOH it shouldn't be too hard to implement and it would
be real handy in some situations, so yes, I guess I'll cook something up
soon :)
Also beware that the current text rendering seems to be quite slow, I'll
need to fix that too while I'm at it.

As of SDL_net; I have no plans about it, at least until the main
functionality of PAL is finished. Meanwhile you might want to take a look
at alternative libraries, maybe http://common-lisp.net/project/usocket/ or
something similar would do?

If you bump into any problems or have any other ideas for improvement let
me know!