[osicat-devel] bug in UNMERGE-PATHNAMES when called with #P

Luís Oliveira loliveira at common-lisp.net
Sun Jul 15 01:57:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM,  <max at mr.gy> wrote:
> I understand now. You are right it's not a bug. Instead of having arbitrary no-op behaviour, signalling errors forces the programmer to
> be explicit.

Yeah, when in doubt I tend to go that way. I thought about this a
little bit more; the argument for the no-op behaviour is that it would
make unmerge-pathnames work more like the inverse of merge-pathnames,
which has no trouble mixing relative and absolute pathnames. But that
just makes it clear that unmerge-pathnames is a misnomer, since it
only deals with directories and ignores other components. A better
name for this function would perhaps reflect its similarities with
enough-namestring.

Another problem with unmerge-pathnames only taking the directory
component into account is that it fails to do the right thing on
Windows, where the device component is particularly relevant for this
operation.

Do you feel like taking a stab at these issues?

Cheers,

--
Luís Oliveira
http://r42.eu/~luis/