[pg-cvs] osicat dotted-namestrings and absolute-pathname interaction around directory iterators

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Thu Aug 18 06:47:58 UTC 2011

On 17 August 2011 21:00, MON KEY <monkey at sandpframing.com> wrote:

> Again, I would prefer that (osicat:list-directory ".") not return a
> value that is CL:EQUAL (osicat:list-directory "./").

I honestly didn't understand /what/ you were finding objectionable
before. So we're making progress here...

However, I disagree with this: treating "." and "./" identically is
consistent with the way other directory name designators are dealt
with, and has more to do with the CL pathname logic (and braindamage)
than with POSIX.

Two questions:

1. Assuming current directory contains a single file "foo.txt", what
would you like (osicat:list-directory ".") and (osicat:list-directory
"./") to return?

2. What's the use-case?

Re. Osicat and POSIX:

Yep, the README is out of date. *However* Osicat is not /just/ a POSIX
API. It has two layers:

* The Osicat API in package OSICAT.

* The low-level APIs: currently OSICAT-POSIX and OSICAT-MACH. In the
future there will probably be OSICAT-WIN32 as well.

The Osicat API is not a POSIX API. It tries to find a place to stand
among the concepts shared by modern OSes and be a nice Lispy extension
to things in the standard.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus

Crowdfunding SBCL: http://www.indiegogo.com/SBCL-Threading-Improvements-1