Online Lisp Meeting #12

Michał "phoe" Herda phoe at disroot.org
Mon Dec 13 08:22:06 UTC 2021

Hello,

I hope you haven't forgotten about the Meetings. I sure haven't! Time to
organize yet another one, or even two - since I got two videos, one
right after the other. The announcement for the second meeting will come
tomorrow though; let's focus on the first one for now!

This time, we'll have Jan Moringen talking about a modern (and already
rather successful!) approach to parsing the holy scriptures of Common
Lisp - the language specification in its TeX source format.

> The most important specification documents for the Common Lisp
> programming language, namely the Common Lisp ANSI standard and the
> Common Lisp HyperSpec (CLHS), are both provided under restrictive
> licenses (and at a cost in case of ANSI).  This situation prevents the
> creation and distribution of derived works such as alternative
> presentations or corrected revisions.  This inability to produce
> derived works has lead to the creation of independent errata lists
> that cannot be "applied" to the specification.
>
> Despite these obstacles, a way forward, albeit one that involves lots
> of effort, has been known for some time: start from the TeX sources of
> the draft specification ("dpANS"), which are in the public domain, and
> create new specification documents.  Those documents can then improve
> on the hyperlinking and presentation of the CLHS as well as
> incorporate corrections.  The high effort associated with this
> approach comes from the fact that the tools that were used to create
> the CLHS are not publicly available.
>
> This presentation explains the situation outlined above in more detail
> and introduces our project to create the required tools and produce
> new specification documents from the dpANS TeX sources and X3J13
> cleanup issue files.  After mentioning some of the problems in the
> draft specification as well as the CLHS that we plan to address, we
> present our method for parsing and processing the sources.  After
> that, we show current and future applications of the parsing,
> transformation and generation process.  We conclude by sharing open
> problems as well as a call to action aimed at re-discovering the most
> recent versions of the X3J13 issue files which we, so far, did not
> manage to find anywhere.

A short Jitsi talk with everyone will happen just after the meeting.
Where and when exactly - I'll link it in a follow-up mail.

Date/time/location: