Online Lisp Meeting #8

Michał "phoe" Herda phoe at disroot.org
Mon Sep 7 09:45:01 UTC 2020

Hello, hey, hi, greetings!

I am terribly sorry for posting the announcement for the next Online
Lisp Meeting so late, since it will be in merely two days from now. I
hope that most of you have already got slightly used to the
bi-or-tri-weekly scheme of the Meetings and I am doubly sorry since I
shall need to bend this one as well: I will announce two meetings, the
eight, and the ninth, with just a week of delay between the two. (I will
be unavailable during the rest of September, since life outside Lisp
demands my attention.)

The 2^3th meeting will contain a re-stream of a talk by Andrew Sengul,
who will be presenting April, a compiler from the APL language to Common
Lisp. (The announcement for the 3^2th meeting will come in a separate mail.)

> APL stands for Array Programming Language and, as the name suggests,
> is focused on working with arrays, making it great for for graphics,
> signal processing, statistical work and more.
>
> Using APL within Lisp opens vast possibilities for working with
> structured data. Traditionally, APL is implemented in the form of a
> monolithic interpreter, and feeding data from databases and other
> external APIs into these interpreters and getting the results back in
> a usable format can be daunting.
>
> April is different. Compiling APL expressions into Lisp means that any
> data that can be formatted as a number or character array in Lisp can
> be operated upon using APL. Often, dozens of lines of number-crunching
> code with many nested loops can be replaced by a single line of APL.
> If you're working on a Lisp application that involves many operations
> on arrays or uses complex algorithms in general, April can
> substantially speed up your development process.
>
> In this talk Andrew will recount the trials of developing a new APL
> compiler from scratch and cover some of April's unique advantages,
> including macros that make it easy to extend and modify the language.
>
> This presentation will also feature a sneak preview of Bloxl, a
> hardware startup powered by Common Lisp with April. Bloxl is producing
> a new luminous structural display technology; with Bloxl, you can
> build transparent glass walls that light up with software-controlled
> pixel graphics. You can see more on the Bloxl website at https://bloxl.co.
>
> The original talk that will be restreamed will happen the day before
> (https://www.meetup.com/LispNYC/events/vqhmbpybcmblb/). In order to
> make the talk more accessible to European audiences (the original will
> start at midnight CEST!), I have offered to re-stream the whole talk
> with the ability to chat with the speaker on Twitch, which Andrew has
> accepted.

A short Jitsi talk with everyone will happen just after the meeting -
everyone is invited! (I think it's better to organize those just after
the meetings, because then they actually happen.)

Date/time/location: