Online Lisp Meeting #6

Michał "phoe" Herda phoe at disroot.org
Wed Jul 29 18:05:42 UTC 2020

#.(ALEXANDRIA:RANDOM-ELT *OLM-MAIL-GREETINGS*)

Our speakers for the sixth Online Lisp Meeting are Jan Moringen, a major
SBCL contributor, and Hayley Patton, a Lisp object farmer.

Jan Moringen will talk about Clouseau, a CLIM-based implementation of
the Common Lisp inspector facility.

> An inspector is a software tool the purpose of which is the
> interactive inspection and manipulation of values and their relations
> within a running program.  Besides more prominent components such as
> editors and debuggers, inspectors play an important role in
> interactive development environments or just interactive environments
> in general.  Common Lisp and Common Lisp-based environments have a
> long history of inspectors: Genera's inspector, CL:INSPECT, the SLIME
> inspector and McCLIM's two inspectors called Clouseau, to name a few.
>
> This presentation is about the latter two: the original Clouseau and,
> more importantly, the redesigned and rewritten implementation that
> replaced it.  After mentioning a few crucial requirements and design
> decisions, the presentation focuses on a user's perspective.  It
> demonstrates the basic use, specialized visualizations and operations
> and customization of the rewritten Clouseau.

 Hayley Patton will talk about Techniques and Utilities for Farming
Objects On The Net.
> This presentation is about programming concurrent, distributed systems
> in Common Lisp, and some of the ideas that have sprung up while
> developing the Netfarm distributed object system. We will demonstrate
> how we try to abstract away wire protocol and format differences, how
> we can use a recommender system to filter unwanted content for an end
> user in the Netfarm system; and some libraries we have worked on, with
> the aim to produce performant and robust concurrent Lisp programs.

As before, the talk will be pre-recorded and played back on Twitch, with
the ability to comment on the Twitch chat during playback. The videos
will make it onto YouTube. In my evening, I plan on organizing an online
drink and chat on Jitsi.