Online Lisp Meeting #7

Michał "phoe" Herda phoe at disroot.org
Wed Aug 19 12:12:45 UTC 2020

Good morning, everyone!

Seven seems to be a lucky number for some, and this is the seventh
Online Lisp Meeting. Luckily, more time has solved the problem of the
previous online meeting - we will have a chance to listen to Hayley
Patton's presentation about Techniques and Utilities for Farming Objects
On The Net.

> This presentation is about programming concurrent, distributed systems
> in Common Lisp, and some of the ideas that have sprung up while
> developing the Netfarm distributed object system. We will demonstrate
> how we try to abstract away wire protocol and format differences, how
> we can use a recommender system to filter unwanted content for an end
> user in the Netfarm system; and some libraries we have worked on, with
> the aim to produce performant and robust concurrent Lisp programs.
As before, the talk will be pre-recorded and played back on Twitch, with
the ability to comment on the Twitch chat during playback. The videos
will then make it onto YouTube. And, this time, I plan on organizing a
small virtual hangout *right after* the talk in order to take the
Australian timezones into better account.

Date/time/location:

  * Date: 26st August 2020
  * Time: 13:00 CEST - https://time.is/en/CEST
  * Talk: https://www.twitch.tv/TwitchPlaysCommonLisp
  * Hangout: https://chat.heisig.xyz/TwitchPlaysCommonLisp @ 14:30

Massive thanks to Marco Heisig for providing the Jitsi instance where we
can hang out after the talk.

A mailing list has been created for the purpose of organizing and
promoting the online talks. Further announcements will be posted there.