[noctool-devel] Oooh! Shiny! [ predictive models of future behaviour ]

William Annis annis at biostat.wisc.edu
Thu Jan 29 19:54:04 UTC 2009

 >Found the following after discussing the Snooper model for predicting "a run
 >on this port was made on $Date" and I suspect it MAY, possibly, be worth
 >considering for alert thingbobs in NOCtool:

        Grr.

        Sorry.  I was on the LISA program committee for this paper,
and I thought it unnecessary to reproduce a paper that had already
been done in 1993:

    http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/cinci93/hoogen.html

Here's some work I did:

    http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/~annis/mom3.old/stats/index.html

The Hoogenboom and Lepreau paper uses Holt-Winters time series
analysis, which is *much* easier to produce models for (fast to
calculate, can be updated on the fly).  At this point it seems like it
should be a bare-minimum requirement for any monitoring tool.  :)

--
wm