[noctool-devel] compact configurations for identical machines

Jim Prewett download at hpc.unm.edu
Thu May 29 02:02:52 UTC 2008

I'm still thinking about this one...

> Or, wait, even better!
>
> Does this look at least vaguely sane?
> (cluster ("rtr-~3,'0d" 1 10)
>   (machine name linux-host
>      (user "testuser")))

Using your example from earlier, how would we specify something like
"rtr-f01-001" through "rtr-f03-999".  This is *different* than your
objection to my initial syntax - what in the heck would a format string
look like if this were actually trying to specify 3000 or so routers... (*
OK, imagine we're either not FORMAT ninjas or we're using something that
doesn't make julienne fries in addition to printing, like C's printf ;)
I UNDERSTAND IT IS POSSIBLE TO CURE CANCER WITH A SINGLE INVOCATION OF
FORMAT ;) *)

This seems like a better place to screw things up royally than I had
initially anticipated :P :)  Its going to be difficult to get this right
I'm thinking...

*To get something working*, I'm thinking we should just accept a format
string something like Ingvar's suggestion quoted above.  There are,
hopefully, more interesting problems to solve. :)

Jim