[munich-lisp] Reminder: [CFP] 5th European Lisp Workshop, July 7 2008, Cyprus

Didier Verna didier at lrde.epita.fr
Wed Apr 16 15:28:10 UTC 2008

     |                       CALL FOR PAPERS                      |
     |                 5th European Lisp Workshop                 |
     |     July 7, Paphos, Cyprus - co-located with ECOOP 2008    |

Important Dates:
****************
Submission deadline (papers & breakout groups): May  04, 2008
Notification of acceptance:                     May  19, 2008
ECOOP early registration deadline:              June 01, 2008
5th European Lisp Workshop:                     July 07, 2008

For more information visit http://elw.bknr.net/2008/
Contact: Didier Verna, didier at lrde.epita.fr

Organizers
**********

Didier Verna, EPITA Research and Development Laboratory, Paris
Christophe Rhodes, Goldsmiths College, University of London
Charlotte Herzeel, Programming Technology Lab, Vrije Universiteit, Brussel
Hans Hübner, Software Developer, Berlin

Overview
********

"...Please don't assume Lisp is only useful for Animation and
Graphics, AI, Bioinformatics, B2B and E-Commerce, Data Mining,
EDA/Semiconductor applications, Expert Systems, Finance, Intelligent
Agents, Knowledge Management, Mechanical CAD, Modeling and Simulation,
Natural Language, Optimization, Research, Risk Analysis, Scheduling,
Telecom, and Web Authoring just because these are the only things they
happened to list."
  -- Kent Pitman

Lisp is one of the oldest computer languages still in use today. In
the decades of its existence, Lisp has been a fruitful basis for
language design experiments as well as the preferred implementation
language for applications in diverse fields.

The structure of Lisp makes it easy to extend the language or even to
implement entirely new dialects without starting from scratch. Common
Lisp, with the Common Lisp Object System (CLOS), was the first
object-oriented programming language to receive an ANSI standard and
retains the most complete and advanced object system of any
programming language, while influencing many other object-oriented
programming languages that followed.

It is clear that Lisp is gaining momentum: there is a steadily growing
interest in Lisp itself, with numerous user groups in existence
worldwide, and in Lisp's metaprogramming notions which are being
transferred to other languages, as for example in Aspect-Oriented
Programming, support for Domain-Specific Languages, and so on.

This workshop will address the near-future role of Lisp-based
languages in research, industry and education. We solicit papers and
suggestions for breakout groups that discuss the opportunities Lisp
provides to capture and enhance the possibilities in software
engineering. We want to promote lively discussion between researchers
proposing new approaches and practitioners reporting on their
experience with the strengths and limitations of current Lisp
technologies.

The workshop will have two components: there will be
formally-presented talks, and breakout groups discussing or working on
particular topics. Additionally, there will be opportunities for
short, informal talks and demonstrations on experience reports,
underappreciated results, software under development, or other topics
of interest.

Papers
******

Formal presentations in the workshop should take between 20 minutes
and half an hour; additional time will be given for questions and
answers. We encourage that papers be published on the website, to
provide all participants with background information in advance.

Suggested Topics:
- New language features or abstractions
- Experience reports or case studies
- Protocol Metaprogramming and Libraries
- Educational approaches
- Software Evolution
- Development Aids
- Persistent Systems
- Dynamic Optimization
- Implementation techniques
- Innovative Applications
- Hardware Support for Lisp systems
- Macro-, reflective-, meta- and/or rule-based development approaches
- Aspect-Oriented, Domain-Oriented and Generative Programming

Breakout Groups
***************

The workshop will provide for the opportunity to meet face to face and
work on focused topics. We will organize these breakout groups and
provide for rooms and infrastructure.

Suggested Topics for Breakout Groups:
- Lisp Infrastructure Development and Distribution
- Language Features (e.g. Predicate Dispatching)
- Environments for creating web applications
- Brainstorming sessions for new or existing open source projects
- Persistence Systems
- Compiler technology
- Lisp on bare metal / Lisp hardware / Lisp operating systems
- Compare and enhance curricula for computer science education

Submission Guidelines
*********************

Potential attendees are encouraged to submit:

- a long paper (10 pages) presenting scientific and/or
  empirical results about Lisp-based uses or new approaches for
  software engineering purposes,

- a short essay (5 pages) defending a position about where
  research, practice or education based on Lisp should be heading in
  the near future,

- a proposal for a breakout group (1-2 pages) describing the theme, an
  agenda and/or expected results.

Submissions should be mailed as PDF to Didier Verna
(didier at lrde.epita.fr) before the submission deadline.