[movitz-devel] PCI Device Enumeration

M Bealby mbealby at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 20:46:23 UTC 2007

Hey all,

I've been thinking about device drivers (again) and I'm wondering what thoughts
people have on PCI device enumeration?

Devices are identified through two identifiers (vendor ID, device ID) supplied
from each card to the PCI controller.  Movitz can already read these
identifiers (see scan-pci-bus).

As far as I can see, there are two approaches we can take here.  We either have
each driver read all the PCI identifiers and initialize devices upon a match,
or we have a 'driver loader' which will parse the pci identifiers once and load
the relevant drivers.  Personally I'm tending towards the latter, but I would
welcome anyones thoughts.

Martin