[movitz-devel] GDB-image [was Re: Procfs support for non-Allegro lisps?]

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Thu Sep 2 09:11:32 UTC 2004

James Crippen <jcrippen at gmail.com> writes:

> Is there any procfs support in the works out there for non-Allegro
> lisps? I note that the procfs-image.lisp file uses a few functions
> from a PROCFS package that I presume is Allegro-specific. What would
> it take to get this working in other Lisps? It seems like it should
> be some not-overly-complicated file accessing after some pid lookup,
> right?

Come to think of it, I'd suggest if you're interested in lookin into
such debugging tools to rather consider writing a gdb-image (subclass
of movitz-image), where the GDB remote protocol is used to interface
the (emulated) machine running movitz. This should be even less
complicated than porting the procfs stuff to linux, and has many
advantages: better portability (across lisps and OSes), works with
QEMU, Bochs, and even actual hardware if only some GDB stub support is
added to the movitz image.

E.g: http://www.superhlinux.com/kgdb/gdbprotocol.php3

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld