[movitz-devel] Re: implementing the process abstraction in movitz

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Tue Nov 23 15:18:35 UTC 2004

Pascal J.Bourguignon <pjb at informatimago.com> writes:

> It seems to me that if the goal is Linux, it would be much better to
> approach it from the virtual machine point of view: provide a
> hardware abstraction layer, and adapt UML, User-Mode-Linux (or Linux
> using User-Mode-linux as a model) to your hardware abstraction
> virtual machine.

This is quite possible. However, I think the goals "running linux" and
"running linux processes" are quite different. It's a bit unclear to
me what the value of lisp would be in providing a VM that more or less
runs a complete linux (etc) kernel: essentially the entire static blob
remains. In the latter case (the running linux processes goal), only
individual processes remain as blobs, and they at least are defined
somewhat properly in terms of address-space and system-calls etc. To
me, the interesting thing is to remove as much as possible of the
tradidional unix-style static blobs and have interactive,
introspective etc lisp instead. But of course others will have
different goals and interests.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld