[movitz-devel] Re: with-inline-assembly-case

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Wed Aug 18 19:43:19 UTC 2004

James Crippen <jcrippen at gmail.com> writes:

> What is the purpose of with-inline-assembly-case? I understand the
> idea of the inline assembly directive, but I don't get why it needed
> to be folded into a case statement.

The with-inline-assembly-case is just a mechanism for weaving the
inline assembly into the compiler's code with a bit more fine-grained
control. The "case" refers to a compile-time dispatch on the current
"result-mode" of the compiler. Which is a reall broken concept to
begin with, but that's just me not really knowing how to write a
compiler.

Anyway, I'd simply suggest ignoring the with-inline-assembly-case
operator, if at all possible.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld