[movitz-devel] Re: Segmentation

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Fri Aug 13 09:07:29 UTC 2004

James Crippen <jcrippen at gmail.com> writes:

> Is segmentation in use anywhere in Movitz, or is it just talked
> about in the manual? And if so, where's the code that sets it up?

It's used, but not to a very great extent so far. That is,
thread-local storage is referenced through a designated segment
selector, but so far there's only one thread, and it's segment
selector (in FS) is the same as DS.  DS however is not quite "flat
model", it's starting at physical address 1M. GS (I think it was) is
used to access (memory mapped hardware) below 1M, e.g. by giving a
true physicalp argument to memref-int.

The basic execution environment is set up in the very early boot-up
code that gets generated in make-toplevel-funobj in image.lisp.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld