Status of ASDF / Updating ASDF

Jean-Claude Beaudoin jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 17:52:40 UTC 2016

Hello Elias,

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 8:14 AM, Elias Pipping <pipping.elias at icloud.com>
wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> the current version of ASDF that comes with MKCL is reported as 3.0.3.0.2,
> which I take to mean a patched version of ASDF 3.0.3. Indeed, if I create
> a diff between ASDF 3.0.3 and what comes with MKCL, at a first glance,
> it appears to be rather longish yet made up solely of mkcl-specific
> changes.

You are right 3.0.3.0.2 is indeed 3.0.3 with some patching that was,
I think, very MKCL specific and quite minor.  It got all folded back into
ASDF
main branch before the start of ASDF 3.1.X but that feels like that was
quite
a while ago.

> I’d like to use MKCL in conjunction with a more recent version of ASDF,
> e.g.
> because cl-launch requires at least ASDF 3.1.2. The number of occurrences
> of the string #+mkcl in the ASDF sources is much higher now than it was
> with
> 3.0.3 (because the aforementioned diff has been upstreamed?) which
> suggests that a more recent ASDF could be more easily gotten to work with
> MKCL...?
>
> In my work area I have the remains of an ASDF 3.1.4 that I compiled and
tested
with MKCL 1.1.9 a bit more that a year ago. I don't remember any glitches
in it.

I have been meaning to update the bundled ASDF to the latest 3.1.X for quite
some time now but there is always one more emergency that preempted that
from happening. In fact, the release of MKCL 1.1.10 is more than long
overdue
and would include that bundled ASDF update along with all the collected bug
fixes of the last years. I think I get to it right after the FreeBSD port
(started a
few days ago) is done.

> I’m wondering if anyone has been able to get a recent version to work, if
> it's
> maybe even supposed to work out of the box, if there’s a right way and a
> wrong way, if anyone’s working on a patch, etc.
>
> As I recall it should indeed work "out of the box". Otherwise it is a bug
to be fixed.