a few issues

Tomas Hlavaty tom at logand.com
Mon Apr 13 04:18:59 UTC 2015

Hi Jean-Claude,

Jean-Claude Beaudoin <jean.claude.beaudoin at gmail.com> writes:
>     >     1462 is not of type STREAM.
>     >        [Condition of type TYPE-ERROR]
>     >
>     > Should be fixed in git head.
>
>     I still get this error.
>
> You are most probably still using some other version of slime instead
> of the one provided by latest mkcl git master head (the one I just
> fixed).  Please have a look at this commit, and remove the
> corresponding call to #'cl:file-position in the version you currently
> use. I still need to push this to slime git head...

yes, I do not use the mkcl slime so I missed this fix.  Would be great
if your changes make it into the official slime.  Thank you for fixing
these issues!

>     > BTW, are you sure you turned off any "trace preventing"
>     optimization
>     > before trying cl:trace?  You need to have done the
>     equivalent of
>     > (proclaim '(optimize (debug 3) (safety 3) (speed 1))
>     before
>     > compilation of any code that you expect to trace through,
>     otherwise
>     > there may be some inlining or "fast-call" done by the
>     compiler that
>     > will prevent good use of cl:trace.
>
>     This seem to do something, but not always.  I haven't
>     identified the
>     problem yet.
>
> I will need much more detailed and precise information here if you
> want me to help you further on this.

Yeah, I know.  I have tried to make sense of it, but still have not
found a pattern which I could report as a test case.  When I know more,
I will let you know.

> I can reproduce the problem now, thank you very much.  It is a bug in
> the code generated by the "Lisp to C" compiler for form
> "multiple-value-bind" (and probably also multiple-value-setq) but only
> when (optimize (debug 2)) is in effect.  Any other value of "debug"
> makes the problem disappear. Your slime setup has most probably
> changed the effective global "debug" value through some call to
> #'cl:proclaim at some point.  (BTW, the effective global "debug" value
> is stored in si::*debug*)
>
> I am working on a fix for the bug...

Great!

>     One more question: is there something like octets-to-string
>     and
>     string-to-octets functions?
>
> Not in their general form but there is an MKCL equivalent for
> the most useful encoding special case (utf8). Have a look at
> string-to-utf8 and utf8-to-string in swank-mkcl.lisp.

Thank you for pointers, I will have a look.

Best Regards,

Tomas