[mel-base-devel] utf-8 char encoding

Jochen Schmidt js at codeartist.org
Mon Nov 20 18:25:09 UTC 2006

Evrim ULU wrote:
> I'm having difficulties while reading utf-8 encoded messages using
> mel-base. It seems server stream is us-ascii encoded. Are there any
> workarounds for this behaviour or a flexi-stream enchancment patch
> that i've missed? I'm using 0.9.17 sbcl.

Yes it was intentional to leave the server stream us-ascii encoded. One
design-principle of mel-base was, that no message should be altered when
it is transfered. I decided to write mel-base after I realized that a
Python
library, which I used to transfer my messages, altered the format in
a braindead way.

I've not looked at the code for a while, but it should not be to
difficult
to wrap a flexi-stream around a particular MESSAGE-BODY-STREAM or
PART-BODY-STREAM. There is no real working support for inline MIME
encodings yet - I've something half-done but it needs some work. Drop
me a mail if this is
still an issue for you - Perhaps I'm able to allocate some free time
to look at it.

ciao,
Jochen